1. "Therefore it is not really a small thing, when in small things we resist self." Explain this.
2. What was Nathan's message to David? Why was it sent, and what was the result?
3. "How long, Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, 'Violence!' but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?" Who said this? What was God's response? Do you remember the prophet's final conclusion?
Write 8-10 lines of poetry from memory.
1. "The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared." Explain this.
2. Summarize a short story, essay, or poem you read this term.
3. Write a paragraph based on "Harrison Bergeron," explaining whether the ideal of total equality is a worthwhile goal. Or, write about the wisdom of the old based on "The Aged Mother."
1. Write sentences showing correct use of "its" and "it's."
2. Choose "is" or "are." The cover, and not the pages, __ brittle from years of improper storage.
3. When should "who" be used, and when "whom"? Give examples.
4. "He paid him, thanked him, and set out at once in his new cloak for the department." Parse the sentence, identifying: 1) the part of speech for each word; 2) for nouns and pronouns, the number (singular, plural) and case (nominative, objective/accusative, dative, possessive/genitive, vocative); 3) for verbs, the tense (past, present, future), voice (active, passive), and--if applicable--person (first, second, third). In addition, circle the verbs that belong to independent clauses (also called primary or coordinate clauses), and underline the verbs that belong to dependent (or subordinate) clauses.
1. What is 'Blitzkrieg?' Was it successful? Or, describe the events that brought the US into WWII.
2. Give some account of the Cold War.
3. Discuss J. F. Kennedy's actions in Cuba, OR the Civil Rights movement.
4. "I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in the American dream--one day this nation will rise up and live up to its creed, 'We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal.' I have a dream . . ." Who said this? Write about this speech.
5. What do you know about Vietnam?
Natural History and General Science
1. What do you know about processionary caterpillars?
2. Briefly explain what quantum mechanics is.
3. Explain the Doppler Effect.
1. Show why Plato gave Aristides praise above all the other many famous and notable men of Athens; or, Show that the counsels of Aristides brought victory to the Greek armies at Plataea.
2. Describe the stages of a slander. What is slander?
3. Discuss a couple of John Howard Griffin's experiences in the racially segregated south that surprised you.
4. Explain "the phenomenon of an Inner Ring."
5. "In our time it is broadly true that political writing is bad writing." Do you agree or disagree with George Orwell?
1. If x is an integer, what is the greatest value of x which satisfies 5 < 2x + 2 < 9?
2. The sum an integer x and its reciprocal is equal to 78/15. What is the value of x?
3. If a student has an average of 87 after 4 tests, what would the student have to get on his next test to get an average of 90?
4. 231 students went on a field trip. Some students rode in vans which hold 7 students each and some students rode in buses which hold 25 students each. How many of each type of vehicle did they use if there were 15 vehicles total?
5. Two angles are complementary. One angle is 10 degrees less than three times the other. Find the measures of the angles.
1. Talk about a friend of yours. What do you think they might be doing now? When will you see them again?
2. In your foreign language, write three sentences about yourself.