Exam Questions for Year 9 Term 1
1. Name four doctrines of the Christian faith, and explain two in detail or give two logical reasons why Christianity makes sense.
2. Describe the events regarding Joash being crowned king.
3. Tell about the threat from Sennacherib and Israel's deliverance.
4. "Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil?" Explain this.
5. Comment on the "leaven of the Pharisees" or the withered fig tree.
Write 8-10 lines of poetry from memory.
(Assigned passage is in the Exam Key.)
1. Write a letter home as if you were Gulliver, describing either Lilliput or Brobdingnag.
2. Describe the part you found most humorous in Isaac Bickerstaff, The Spectator, Tale of a Tub or Gulliver's Travels.
3. What was a poem you liked this term? What was it about?
1. What are the plural forms of these words? Knife, sheep, man, child.
2. Identify whether the italiczed word is a direct object, or indirect object.
Now completely frustrated, Mallory tossed the lopsided cake into the trash.
Coach Taylor purchased the wrong jerseys for the team.
Brad finally gave Mom a call last Tuesday.
3. Choose "she" or "her." Ashlyn wrote more pages than __.
4. Identify parts of speech for the italicized words. For nouns and pronouns, say also whether the word is singular or plural. For verbs, say also whether the verb is in past, present, or future tense: Among the many people making up the great household there was a little girl of seven named Esther Johnson. She was a delicate little girl with large eyes and black hair. She and Swift soon grew to be friends, and he spent his happiest hours teaching her to read and write. It is pleasant to think of the gloomy, untrained genius throwing off his gloom and bending all his talents to the task of teaching and amusing this little delicate child of seven.
1. Give an account of William of Orange or Cotton Mather.
2. Tell what you know about the leading up to/beginning of the Salem Witch Trials.
3. What do you know about The Duke of Marlborough or Jonathan Edwards?
4. Give a sketch of George Washington.
5. What do you know about the Treaty of Ultrechte or The Great Awakening?
6. Name four of Benjamin Franklin's ideas and inventions. Describe two of them.
1. Explain what longitude is. Or, Describe Hampton Court.
2. Describe the "lunar method" mariners used to navigate out at sea. Or, Describe Salisbury.
3. What is "the clock of heaven" and how was it used by mariners? Or, Why is longitude calculated from Greenwich? Or Describe Bath in 1722.
Natural History and General Science
1. Write notes, with drawings, on the special studies you have made this term.
2. How did Leeuwenhoek prove that life doesn't come from nothing?
3. Choose a question matched to your term's science subject from here or from your science program.
1. Use the Year 7-10 Questions for this term's Plutarch from this page.
2. "And, spite of pride in erring reason's spite,/One truth is clear, whatever is, is right." Explain Pope's argument in your own words.
3. What duties towards others does Justice claim from us?
4. Define four of the following: liberal, conservative, left, right, democrat, republican, moderate, socialist, libertarian, communist.
Father to choose an unseen passage, giving marks for enunciation.
Arithmetic/Geometry (Questions from your math program may be substituted.)
1. Demonstrate the distributive property: 9(2a + b + 4) = ____
2. Julie has a jar of beads. She used half of them to make a bracelet. Later she bought more, tripling the number of beads in the jar. Now there are 33 beads in the jar. How many beads did Julie start with?
3. A triangle has three angles labeled x, y, and z. The ratio of x to y is 1:13. The ratio of y to z is 13:1. What is the value of each of the angles, x, y, and z?
4. A store is advertising a 35 percent discount on an item they marked up 5 percent from the factory price of $350. The sales tax is 8.25 percent. What does the item cost?
5. A train leaves the station at 2:00 pm at 40 mph. Another train headed in the opposite direction leaves the same station at 4:00 pm at 60 mph. To the nearest mile, how far are the two trains from each other at 6:00 pm?
1. Write a paragraph in your foreign language about someone who displayed loyalty in your term's reading.
2. Describe a picture in your language book, using your foreign language.
1. Describe a picture from this term's picture study.
Father should choose a poem, two Bible verses and/or a scene from Shakespeare learned this term for student to recite.
Music (such as playing an instrument)
Parent or instructor should assess child's progress.
1. Tell about your favorite piece of music from this term.
2. Question to be taken from this term's Composer Study here.
Sing your favorite folksong and hymn from this term.
Show some work in handicrafts from this term to someone outside your family.